Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies
Classic chocolate chip cookies elevated to perfection. Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies are chewy, gooey, and richly flavored with brown butter. This recipe is a childhood classic turned into an adult favorite that never disappoints.
Servings: 24 cookies
- 14 tablespoon butter
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 8 oz chocolate chips bittersweet or dark
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts or pecans optional
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
In a large skillet or sauce pan, melt 10 tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Continue to cook over medium heat until the butter is a dark brown color and smells nutty (it will sizzle and foam as it cooks). Remove from heat and add the remaining 4 tablespoon of cold butter. It will foam a lot, so whisk constantly until the foam subsides.
Using a stand mixer or hand mixer on medium speed, mix the warm butter with both sugars, salt, and vanilla for 30 seconds. Add the egg and egg yolk and mix on medium speed for 1 minute. The mixture should be thick, smooth, and glossy.
Whisk flour and baking soda in a small bowl to remove lumps. Add to wet ingredients and stir by hand with a rubber spatula until mostly combined.
Add chocolate chips and nuts, if using. Continue to stir by hand until just combined. Do not over mix.
Using a 1½ tablespoon scoop, scoop cookies onto the prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the center is puffy and the edges are just starting to brown. Don't over bake.
Leave cookies on the cookie sheet for 3-5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
Tips & Tricks
It is essential to brown your butter for this recipe. For even more detailed instructions on browning butter, including instructions for the stovetop, Instant Pot, slow cooker, and microwave, check out this tutorial.
Once the dough is made and scooped, line the scoops on a cookie sheet and freeze for 2-3 hours. Once frozen, store in a plastic freezer bag. Bake from frozen at 375°F for 9-11 minutes.
- I highly recommend using dark brown butter (versus a light golden brown). The darker the butter, the more rich the flavor.
- Using high quality chocolate chips goes a long way in elevating these cookies. My favorite are Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips.
- As with all cookies, don’t over mix and don’t over bake. Mix until the flour is just combined into the dough. Bake until the edges are just turning golden brown. The middle will still look a bit doughy - this is the secret to gooey, chewy cookies!
Serving: 1cookie | Calories: 140kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 33mg | Sodium: 183mg | Potassium: 23mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 225IU | Calcium: 11mg | Iron: 1mg