Easy Taco Salsa (Street Taco Sauce)
This easy Taco Salsa recipe is made with fresh vegetables and spices that are pulsed in a blender and cooked in a hot pan to make an authentic Mexican street taco sauce. With hints of smoky, spicy flavor complemented by fresh lime and cilantro, it's the perfect cooked salsa for tacos, burritos, or chips and dip. It's a true restaurant-style salsa that you'll love every time!
Servings: 3 cups
- 6 roma tomatoes cut in half
- 1 red bell pepper cut into large chunks
- 2 jalapeños tops removed
- ½ medium red onion cut into large chunks
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 2 guajillo chiles dried (or substitute with dried ancho chiles)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
Add tomatoes, bell pepper, jalapeños, red onion, garlic, guajillo chiles, and chili powder to blender. Blend until smooth.
In a deep pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat until hot. Pour in salsa and cook for 8-10 minutes, until salsa has reduced, thickened slightly, and deepened in color. Careful - salsa will splatter and pop.
Remove from pan and allow to cool to room temperature. Once cool, stir in lime juice, cilantro, salt, and pepper. Serve on tacos, burritos, Mexican bowls, or with chips.
We love comments! Please come back and leave us one after you’ve tried this recipe.
Tips & Tricks
To cool the salsa faster:
If you are in a pinch and need the salsa to cool fast, pour it in a thin layer on a cookie sheet and pop it in the freezer. Stir it every 5-7 minutes until it is cool.
- Use the best fresh ingredients you can find. The more flavorful the vegetables, the better the salsa will be.
- Cook the salsa in a very deep pot or use a splash guard/splatter screen. The salsa splatters and pops a lot while cooking, so this will save you some cleanup.
- To keep the lime juice and cilantro tasting fresh, wait until the salsa is fully cooled before mixing them in.
Calories: 103kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 798mg | Potassium: 484mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 3281IU | Vitamin C: 85mg | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 1mg