Fresh Green Beans with Bacon
Green beans cooked in a rich broth full of smokey bacon, savory onions and aromatic garlic make these Fresh Green Beans with Bacon exceptionally flavorful. With easy prep-ahead instructions, they make the perfect side dish to serve at your next holiday dinner or weeknight meal!
- 3 oz bacon thinly sliced
- ¼ medium yellow onion diced, can substitute with sweet or white
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1½ tsp kosher salt
- ¾ tsp pepper
- 1 lb fresh green beans trimmed
- 1 cup water plus more if needed
Cook bacon on medium heat until almost crispy, approximately 5-7 minutes.
Add onions, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook until onions are soft, approximately 5 minutes.
Add green beans and water. The water should come up about ⅓ to ½ way up the green beans. Give everything a good toss. Cover and bring to a boil. You will know it is boiling when lots of steam is escaping from under the lid. Immediately turn off the heat without removing the lid. Allow to steam for 10 minutes.
Tips & Tricks
There are two ways this can be done.
- Really pay attention to the doneness of your bacon before adding in the onion and garlic. If it isn’t cooked enough the bacon will never get crispy, but if it is overcooked the bacon will burn while the onion and garlic are sauteing.
- Don’t over-steam them or they will get mushy. You can always turn the burner back on and steam them a bit more but once they are overdone there is no going back.
- Always check the green beans for seasoning before serving. Often they need a touch more salt and/or pepper.
1) Trim the green beans, slice the bacon, dice the onion, and mince the garlic up to 3 days ahead. Store each component separately in the refrigerator in a tightly sealed container. Proceed with the recipe as follows when you are ready to cook.
2) After prepping all the ingredients, cook the bacon and then the onion/garlic mixture until the onions are soft. Turn off the burner and allow the pan to come to room temperature. Add in the green beans right on top of the bacon, onions, and garlic. Store with the lid on in the refrigerator overnight. When it is time to cook proceed with the directions as written.
For A Crowd
Read the section in the post for all the tips for serving to a crowd.
Calories: 87kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 682mg | Potassium: 194mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 522IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 1mg