Brown Butter Golden Graham Rice Krispies
Brown Butter Golden Graham Rice Krispie Treats are hands-down the best variation on this classic treat! They’re perfectly soft and gooey with the most amazing nutty, toasty flavor. Plus we’ve included all the tips for keeping them soft and cutting them straight.
Servings: 24 treats
- 3 cups Golden Grahams cereal (or other brand)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter
- 2 10 oz bags mini marshmallows
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 5½ cups rice krispies cereal
Line a 9x13 pan with foil and spray with non-stick spray. Make sure to include extra foil on the two ends, which will help you pull them out of the pan later.
In a food processor, pulse the Golden Grahams until they are roughly broken - there should be a mix of fine crumbs, small pieces, and larger pieces. If you don’t have a food processor, place the cereal in a zipper bag and crush them with a rolling pin or other heavy object.
In a large pot melt the butter over medium heat. Continue cooking until the butter is foamy and golden brown (careful, it will burn easily). For more tips, read this guide on how to brown butter.
Turn the heat to low and add marshmallows, vanilla, and salt. Stir with a rubber spatula until the marshmallows are completely melted.
Add the rice krispies and crushed Golden Grahams, then stir until well combined.
Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, then use the spatula to press gently until it’s roughly even across the pan. To get them perfectly flat, spray a piece of plastic wrap lightly with non-stick spray. Lay it across the rice krispie treats and finish pressing with a flat-bottomed measuring cup until they are even. Be sure to press very gently for soft rice krispie treats.
Allow to cool to room temperature (or just dig in while they’re warm!), then cut and serve.
Tips & Tricks
Store in an air-tight container for 2-3 days at room temperature.
Wrap individually in plastic wrap, store in a zipper bag, or store in a sealed container (separate layers with wax paper). Freeze for up to 2-3 months. Allow to sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes to thaw. If you like them warm and gooey, reheat for a few seconds in the microwave.
- Use fresh marshmallows. My friends, it makes all the difference.
- Stir the mixture with a rubber spatula sprayed lightly with non-stick spray. This makes everything easier!
- Press the rice krispies flat with a piece of plastic wrap sprayed with non-stick spray. You can also use a butter wrapper, or run your clean hands under water and press with wet hands.
- Don’t press them too firmly into the pan, or they lose some of their softness.
Calories: 187kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 21mg | Sodium: 202mg | Potassium: 40mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 798IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 6mg | Iron: 3mg