Easy Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
By using a couple strategic shortcuts this Easy Homemade Chicken Pot Pie recipe keeps all the old-fashioned flavor you remember in a fraction of the time. A flaky crust plus a hearty, creamy filling equals the perfect cozy dinner any night of the week.
Servings: 6 -8
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs sliced
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1½ cups milk 2% or whole
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 3 tbsp dry sherry optional
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken cubed or shredded
- 1 10 ounce frozen peas and carrots
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley chopped (optional)
- store-bought pie crusts 1 rolled out flat or 2 for decorative squares
Preheat oven to 450°.
In large pot melt butter and saute onions and celery over medium heat for 3-4 minutes until soft.
Add salt, pepper, and thyme for 30 seconds. Add in flour and whisk, cooking for 1-2 minutes.
Slowly add in the milk and chicken broth a little at a time. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 3-5 minutes until thickened.
Add sherry and cook for 1 minutes. Finally, dump in the chicken and frozen vegetables. Stir until well combined.
Pour into a 9x13 pan. Top with crust. If desired, put on egg wash. See note section below. Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Tips & Tricks
If you want to deepen the golden brown color of your pie crust brush it with and egg wash. Mix 1 egg with 1-2 tbsp of milk or cream. Mix together and well and brush over the top.
- Make sure to cook the flour for an entire minute or two to cook the raw taste out of the flour.
- When whisking in the liquids to the flour mixture do so slowly at first. THat way the filling will some out smooth and perfectly thickened.
- Cook off the sherry for a minute or so if using.
Calories: 391kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 99mg | Sodium: 893mg | Potassium: 424mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 657IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 103mg | Iron: 2mg