Cheesy Refried Beans Casserole
This Cheesy Refried Beans Casserole is the perfect recipe when you want a flavorful Mexican side dish or an easy refried beans dip! It's super easy to make with canned refried beans, seasonings, and a gooey layer of cheese on top. Whether baked or made in the slow cooker, it's perfect for serving at your next game day party or family weeknight dinner.
Servings: 8 as a side dish
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ½ medium onion diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- 2 (28 ounce) cans refried beans
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth
Preheat oven to 350°. Melt butter in a 12-inch oven safe skillet (cast iron works great) over medium-high heat. Add in onion, garlic, and jalapeno. Saute until soft, approximately 5 minutes. Once soft, stir in spices and cook for 30 seconds.
Stir in beans, cheddar cheese, and chicken broth. Mix until well combined. Add Monterey Jack cheese to the top and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the beans are warmed through.
Turn slow cooker on low. Follow directions from step #1, then add mixture to the slow cooker. Alternatively to skillet: Place butter, onion, jalapeno, and garlic in a microwave safe dish. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. Once soft add the spices in and microwave for 30 more seconds. Add ingredients to slow cooker.
Add in the beans, cheddar cheese, and ½ can of chicken broth. Stir well to combine. Place lid on slow cooker and cook on low for 2-4 hours. After 1 hour, check beans and add additional chicken stock if they are too stiff. Keep in mind that the slow cooker will continue adding moisture as they cook.
After 2-4 hours, the cheddar should be melted and the beans should be hot. Remove the lid and place Jack cheese on top. Cover slow cooker insert with a towel before replacing the lid. Then cook for an additional hour on low or 30 minutes on high until the cheese is melted.
We love comments! Please come back and leave us one after you’ve tried this recipe.
Tips & Tricks
- Dice the onions, jalapeños, and garlic finely. You want their flavor but not their texture.
- Add the chicken broth slowly. The goal is to loosen the consistency without making it soupy.
- When making this in the slow cooker, leave the beans a little thicker than you like. The slow cooker will produce extra moisture. After an hour or so check the texture and add more stock if desired.
Calories: 253kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 62mg | Sodium: 371mg | Potassium: 87mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 903IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 425mg | Iron: 1mg