The Best Orange Glaze (Orange Icing for Cake)
This perfect Orange Glaze is packed with orange flavor, not too sweet, and - best of all - easy to make! This recipe is made with fresh orange juice and zest to make the best orange icing for cake, cookies, cinnamon rolls, and more. Plus it’s the ideal consistency to drizzle and will hold up perfectly on all your baked goods (no more soaking in!)
Prep Time5 minutes mins
Cook Time2 minutes mins
Total Time7 minutes mins
Servings: 0.75 cups (enough for 1 loaf or 1 bundt cake)
- 1 tablespoon butter softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoon heavy cream or half and half
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
Place all the ingredients in a bowl, starting with 2 tablespoon of heavy cream. Mix until well combined and smooth. I like to use a whisk. If needed, add more cream 1 teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
1 tablespoon butter, 1 cup powdered sugar, 2-3 tablespoon heavy cream, 1 tablespoon orange zest, 1 tablespoon orange juice, ¼ teaspoon vanilla
Use on cakes, pound cake, cookies, cinnamon rolls, scones, or other baked goods.
We love comments! Please come back and leave us one after you’ve tried this recipe.
Tips & Tricks
You can store this glaze in the refrigerator for up to a week, then gently warm it before using until it’s the desired consistency. Once you drizzle it on your cake, it will stay good for 2-3 days at room temperature.
- Pick good oranges: Fresh orange juice and zest are key to making a flavorful orange icing, so start with great oranges. See the FAQ section above for tips.
- Don’t substitute the cream: It helps with the creaminess, mellowing the sweetness, and keeping it from soaking into your desserts.
- Help it on the edges: When pouring or drizzling the orange glaze, add a little extra to the edges wherever you want it to drip down the sides.
Serving: 3tablespoons | Calories: 86kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 14mg | Potassium: 10mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 106IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 4mg | Iron: 1mg