Easy Chicken Tinga Tacos (Using Rotisserie Chicken)
Rotisserie chicken bathed in a smoky, slightly spicy sauce. Wicked good! Everything your Taco Tuesday (or any day of the week ) dreams are made of.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 tsp oregano Mexican if you have it
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2-4 chipotle peppers in adobo
- 2 14.5 oz cans fire roasted tomatoes
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 6 cups rotisserie chicken meat shredded
- 20-25 corn tortillas
- 1-2 limes, sliced optional
- 1 head cilantro, chopped optional
- cotija cheese optional
- avocado, diced optional
- red onion, diced optional
- salsa see post for recommendation
Heat oil in a deep skillet or saucepan over medium-high heat. Once hot add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is translucent. Add in oregano and cumin. Cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds.
Add in chipotles in adobo, fire roasted tomatoes, chicken broth and salt. Bring to a simmer. Using an immersion blender (or regular blender/food processor) carefully blend ingredients until mostly smooth. This is a personal preference so go as smooth as you like.
Add in shredded chicken and stir to coat in sauce. Allow to warm through.
To serve: Warm tortillas (see below) and top with your favorite toppings.
Tips & Tricks
Feel free to double the sauce and freeze extra sauce in zipbags. To use, thaw completely and warm in pan before adding chicken.
For a crowd keep sauce and chicken separate. Warm sauce then add chicken and continue heating until hot. Prep toppings and tortillas just before serving.
- Start with less chipotle peppers if you are worried about the spiciness level. You can always add more after tasting it.
- One whole rotisserie chicken from Sam's or Costco will be enough for this recipe.
- If you have extra chipotles in adobo freeze them flat in a zipbag for next time.
- Warm tortillas on a pancake griddle or skillet with a light spritz of oil. Keep warm in tortilla warmer.
Serving: 1taco | Calories: 207kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 68mg | Sodium: 416mg | Potassium: 76mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 88IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 1mg