EASY Tinga de Pollo (Chicken Tinga Tacos with Rotisserie Chicken)
This EASY Tinga de Pollo (Chicken Tinga Tacos with Rotisserie Chicken) is a quick and easy traditional Mexican dish made with smoky, slightly spicy chipotle tomato sauce that’s flavored with onion, garlic, and herbs. Stir in shredded chicken and you have a 20 minute dinner for busy weeknights that is wicked good!
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 teaspoon oregano Mexican if you have it
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2-4 chipotle peppers in adobo
- 2 14.5 oz cans fire roasted tomatoes
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 cups rotisserie chicken meat shredded
- 20-25 corn tortillas
- 1-2 limes, sliced optional
- 1 head cilantro, chopped optional
- cotija cheese optional
- avocado, diced optional
- red onion, diced optional
- salsa see post for recommendation
Heat oil in a deep skillet or saucepan over medium-high heat. Once hot add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is translucent. Add in oregano and cumin. Cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds.
Add in chipotles in adobo, fire roasted tomatoes, chicken broth and salt. Bring to a simmer. Using an immersion blender (or regular blender/food processor) carefully blend ingredients until mostly smooth. This is a personal preference so go as smooth as you like. If using a blender or food processor add the sauce back into the skillet.
Add in shredded chicken and stir to coat in sauce. Allow to warm through.
To serve: On tostadas with a thin layer of beans, in a taco shell, over rice, or in a Mexican bowl. Layer on your favorite toppings and enjoy!
We love comments! Please come back and leave us one after you’ve tried this recipe.
Tips & Tricks
Feel free to double the sauce and freeze extra sauce in zipbags. To use, thaw completely and warm in pan before adding chicken.
For a crowd keep sauce and chicken separate. Warm sauce then add chicken and continue heating until hot. Prep toppings and tortillas just before serving.
- Start with less chipotle peppers if you are worried about the spiciness level. You can always add more after tasting it.
- One whole rotisserie chicken from Sam's or Costco will be enough for this recipe.
- If you have extra chipotles in adobo freeze them for next time.
- Warm tortillas on a pancake griddle or skillet with a light spritz of oil. Keep warm in tortilla warmer.
Serving: 1taco | Calories: 207kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 68mg | Sodium: 416mg | Potassium: 76mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 88IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 1mg