Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe
This homemade Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe starts with fresh tomatoes that develop a deep caramelized exterior as they roast in the oven. Serve with a swirl of basil pesto for a that fresh from the garden flavor!
- 3 lbs roma tomatoes may substitute whichever fresh tomato you prefer
- 1 medium sweet onion may substitute yellow onion
- 3 tbsp garlic, minced
- 3 large carrots peeled and cut in half, or 5 oz baby carrots
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper, ground
- 4 cups chicken broth may substitute vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- basil pesto for topping, optional
Preheat oven to 425°. Place tomatoes, onion, garlic, carrots, on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Roast for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and flip the veggies over. Roast for another 25-30 minutes.
Meanwhile, gently warm stock in a pot on the stove. Once the vegetables are finished remove from oven and add to chicken stock. If there are caramelized bits on the sheet pan, add a splash or two of chicken broth and scrap to remove them. Add the broth and bits to the pot. Blend smooth with an immersion blender. If you don't have an immersion blender you can do it in batches in a regular blender.
Add vinegar and pepper flakes. Add additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve with basil pesto.
Tips & Tricks
Freeze in individual containers or one large container. Thaw before reheating. Be sure to gently reheat so that the bottom doesn't burn.
- Roast the veggies and fresh tomatoes until they are dark in color. This will provide a deep and caramelized flavor.
- Take a splash or two of the stock and add it to the sheet pan once roasted veggies are removed. Use a spatula to scrape all the brown bits off the sheet pan. Be sure to pour all that goodness into the rest of the soup ingredients before blending.
Calories: 166kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 909mg | Potassium: 850mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 7953IU | Vitamin C: 47mg | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 1mg