Chicken Tortilla Soup
This warm, comforting Chicken Tortilla Soup is everything you want a soup to be. Easy, fast, accidentally healthy, and soul satisfying. A rich broth thickened with tortillas that is layered with deep Mexican flavors, tender bites of chicken, and a hint of spice.
- 2 tomatoes roma or on-the-vine, roughly chopped
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic chopped
- 1 jalapeno roughly chopped
- 2 dried guajillo peppers tops and seeds removed, ancho may be substituted
- 2 tbsp oil
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 4 corn tortillas torn
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- salt and pepper to taste
- tortilla chips
- avocado diced
- sour cream
Place the pot over high heat. Add the tomaotes, onions, garlic, jalapeno, and dried peppers to the blender. Blend until they are smooth.
Once the pot is hot add the oil. It should be hot enough to ripple. Carefully pour in the contents of the blender. It will be spitting and sputtering. Stir frequently for approximately 5-7 minutes. Once a spoon runs through and leaves a trail, pour in the chicken broth and torn pieces of corn tortilla.
Allow to simmer for 10 minutes then add in the shredded chicken for an additional 5 minutes. Serve with toppings of your choice.
Tips & Tricks
Raw Chicken Option
Once chicken stock is at a simmer, put in a couple sliced chicken breasts. After the chicken has cooked in the broth until tender, add in the tortillas. Continue to simmer gently until the tortillas dissolve and the soup thickens.
- Get the pan very, very hot. Without this step the blended vegetables will not be able to reach the depth of flavor that makes this soup so amazing.
- Cook the vegetables long enough that they condense down. You will know they are ready when a spoon leaves a trail after running through the pot.
Calories: 233kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 53mg | Sodium: 1211mg | Potassium: 589mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 704IU | Vitamin C: 32mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 2mg